Beach strolls are delightful any time of year here in Maine, but certainly never better than on a warm, sunny day, breeze blowing. Whether looking for some solitary time to think, spending time with the kids, catching up with a friend, or out with your special someone, enjoy these days and your time in Maine. A few favorites of locals and visitors alike:
- Popham Beach: Located in Popham, this roughly two mile stretch of sand is our favorite. The sand is soft and at low tide there are great little islands to explore, examining the periwinkles and horseshoe crabs. Fort Popham is also at one end, making a great place to explore. Lifeguards are on duty late May to early September. This is part of Popham State Park, making it carry-in/carry-out. Restrooms and changing areas are available.
- Pine Point Beach: Located in Hurd Park, Scarborough, this is a gorgeous beach on Saco Bay Ideal for walking and lounging. While there are facilities, there are no lifeguards on duty.
- Fortune’s Rocks Beach: Located at Fortune’s Rock Road in Biddeford, this little gem stretches about two miles, with sandy beach that is hard packed. This is a great place for a walk or a run.
- Ogunquit Beach: Located on Beach Street in Ogunquit, this beach boasts 31/2 miles of sandy beach and grassy dunes that form a barrier between the ocean and Ogunquit River. This is a great place to collect shells. Both facilities and lifeguards are available here.form a barrier between the ocean and Ogunquit River. This is a great place to collect shells. Both facilities and lifeguards are available here.
- Old Orchard Beach: Located on East and West Grand avenues in Old Orchard Beach, this beach has a 7-mile stretch of sandy beach. The pier extends about 500 feet over the Atlantic and is the location for your favorite food, drinks, games and nightlife activities. This is also home to Palace Playland, a favorite amusement park for kids and families. Both lifeguards and facilities are available here.
- Drakes Island Beach: Located off of Drakes Island Road in York, this short stretch of beach is a great place for a short stroll and lounging by the dunes. The swimming here is great as it is in a somewhat protected area. Perfect for young kids. Lifeguards and facilities available.
- Harbor Beach: Located in York, this is another small beach that is ideal for children. While small, the beach is a beautiful sheltered sandy beach along a rocky shoreline but with a gentle surf. There is a park alongside the beach that has plenty of shade and benches, perfect for a nice picnic lunch. Lifeguards and facilities are available.
With all of these wonderful options, and more, make sure you hit the beach when you visit Maine. It is sure to be a highlight of your vacation.