Winter Activities in Maine – so much to do! While Maine is known for its amazing summer and fall activities, many are not aware of all that Maine has to offer in the winter as well. Some of Maine’s favorites:
- Cross-country Skiing – whether new to the sport or an avid fan, opportunities to get out on the trails abound. Pineland Farms, twenty minutes from James Place Inn, offers beautiful groomed trails. There are over 40 miles of trails to explore and enjoy. Added bonus is the café waiting for you when you are finished. With the hot soup, sandwiches, coffee, and other goodies, you can refuel and warm up. New to the sport or been wanting to learn? Sign up for the LL Bean Outdoor Discovery School and give it a go. All equipment and instruction is just $25.
- Snowshoeing – Winslow Park is our favorite to enjoy the fresh snow and take in the ocean views. Less than ten minutes from James Place Inn. Forge your own trails here, or sign up with LL Bean for their course and see what the fun is all about.
- Beach Walk – okay, we might be a bit crazy but there is nothing better than a walk on the beach in the winter. Fresh salt air, sunshine, you can almost feel your toes in the sand!
- Flavors of Freeport – a Freeport event in its 11th year. Sample local fare from many restaurants as well as the Ice Bar and boogie to the music of Motor Booty Affair. Bring your Disco moves and dancing shoes. This is a favorite winter event and tickets sell quickly. Call us and we will gladly help with your plans.
- Spa Treat – with things a bit quieter, it is finally time to treat yourself. Freeport has a new spa, Bhavana, that offers full spa services, yoga classes, and more. Just four blocks from James Place Inn. Relax and indulge yourself.
- Like to knit, weave, or felt? The Spa, Knit & Spin is what you are after. Held the third weekend in February, this is your chance to talk with vendors, hang out with your girl pals, and enjoy seeing what is new and available.
- Shop Sales – Freeport is indeed known for its shopping. Home of LL Bean, many retail outlets, and quite a number of unique boutiques, shop the post-holiday sales and find what you really wanted under the tree.
- Just get away – if you are like me, you need to get away from home and leave the chores behind if you are really to relax. Come to Freeport and stay at a favorite Inn. Take in a movie at our six-screen Nordica Theater. Enjoy a fine meal out. Let someone do the cooking and cleaning. You deserve a break!