Vacationing In Maine – Top 10 Things to See and Do
There are so many things to see and do on your Maine vacation. Based on what our guests have told us are their favorites, we have whittled down the list a bit to include consistent favorites. We agree that these are among the best! Here they are listed, in no particular order (and perhaps more than ten)!
- Maine Botanical Gardens – rated #2 in the country and so worth a visit.
- Maine Maritime Museum – interesting history into the ship building of Maine, dating back to the 1600’s. Current exhibit includes the lobstering industry and history.
- Lighthouses – any of them, all of them!
- COG Railway (okay, not technically in Maine but worth it for the amazing views of the White Mountains of New England. The drive there is also quite enjoyable).
- LL Bean Outdoor Discovery School – try your hand at something new: kayaking, standup paddleboarding, fly fish casting, archery, clay shooting. (The winter offerings change to cross country skiing and snowshoeing).
- Popham Beach – one of my all time favorite beaches, anywhere.
- Wolfe’s Neck State Park – offers a beautiful walk, Osprey sightings, great views of Casco Bay.
- Casco Bay Ferry Line – take the ferry to Peak’s Island or take the mail ferry to various islands, stopping along the way.
- Eating – a lot! There is so much amazing food throughout Maine, from lobsters to blueberries to whoopie pies, it is a challenge to work your way through it all!
- Acadia National Park – no trip to Maine would be complete without seeing the splendors of this amazing place.
- Music – Maine has become an amazing venue for music of all types. The Warf in Portland and Thompson’s Point in Portland are two places to catch some serious summer concerts however, there are many small local joints in nearly every town to find some live musical entertainment.